Bostonia Rantida

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Block Your Intersection



As I was born and learned to drive in the Greak Lake State, where no one walks anywhere, I am certainly guilty of blocking crosswalks fairly frequently (well, when I drive, which is increasingly rare). I tell you this in the interest of full disclosure. Biking is my new transportation mode, and I like to think I'm a reasonably conscientious biker, but yeah, I sometimes run red lights (after slowing way down or stopping, thank you) or take turns that cars wouldn't be able to do.

Anyway, I didn't notice this problem when it was just "my feet and the T," but lately, riding around, Jesus, every goddamn intersection gets blocked! This is something that looks new to me, suddenly traversing streets instead of sidewalks, but it might be old hat. I am just shocked by the egregiousness of some people. I mean, when the hand sign is blinking, counting down from 3, maybe you shouldn't keep going when the cars in front of you are stopped. I know how the drivers are here -- I've been honked at for not taking off IMMEDIATELY as a light turns green. But seriously, it's pretty bad.

Maybe it's just a "back to school/autumn," thing, people getting used to more traffic and stuff. I don't know, but weaving in between stopped cars is actually pretty easy when you're a bike. I feel bad for all the poor bastard cars that can't sneak through when their light is green.

The moral of the story is, next time I drive, there's no way I'm going to be blocking anything. Yeesh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home