Bostonia Rantida

Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Biker's Creed

Okay, there is no creed, but I get why a lot of bikers run red lights. It IS annoying to wait for them when you're not in a car, sure. It's why we jaywalk all the hell over Boston in the first place, right?

That said, I stopped at almost all of the lights, but ran one since because were two big trucks behind me in my lane, and ... well, frankly, I'm still a n00b and it was a bit unnerving having their guttural engines behind me, threatening. Anyway, since lots of bike dudes rolled past me this morning as I was stopped, foot propped on the curb and waiting, I don't feel bad about that one.

But I gotta say, biking to work is, all in all, fun!

4 Comments:

Blogger SM said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:28 PM  
Blogger SM said...

i think the best argument for running lights is, the faster i'm off the street the sooner drivers don't have to deal with me.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Adam Pieniazek said...

Though I'm from Dorchester I take the Cambridge stance that bicyclists should be seen as special vehicles that get to ride in the street but get to treat red lights as stop signs. If a bicyclists goes through a red light and hits a pedestrian, chances are everyone will be OK. If a car goes through the same red light and hits a person, chances are someone got severely hurt.

I've even had cops tell me to go ahead and run the light so let's just make it official already.

8:34 PM  
Blogger BR said...

i agree with you guys somewhat. there are certain dangerous intersections that i will "pedestrianize" for. but as i've been almost run over by some bikes taking the four way walk as their personal "GO!" sign at one particular intersection several times, I am still moderately sketchy on this.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home